Monday, February 9, 2015

Quotes that struck me at the time

  • "But I'm a racer at heart, & a racer will never let something that has already happened affect what is happening now."
I think then that I certainly need to be more of a racer.  I try to approach things & events as something new, without preconceived ideals or notions.  But let's be honest it's not easy to do.  There are certain triggers - words, phrases, looks, & the like - that immediately take us to another place in time.  One where we were hurt, disappointed, forgotten about or overlooked.  Or where were happy, joyful, blissful, or floating on cloud 9.  When that happens we unconsciously turn back into the person we were then, if only for a moment.  However, the outcome is almost always not the same as it was then, or as we perceive it will be this time.  The test is to move past the soundtrack that's replaying in your head & see where it really goes.  Easier said than done, I know.
  • "So much of language is unspoken. So much of language is comprised of looks & gestures & sounds that are not words.  People are ignorant of the vast complexity of their own communication."
This goes perfectly with what I said about a year ago, about texting & important conversations.  There are SO many little nuances that we pick up on without even realizing it!  Just as you wouldn't imagine proposing over a text or email (I hope!) there are some things that just require a face to face conversation.  I know it's not always possible but even talking as opposed to texting/typing is better with the differences in tone & delivery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment